For many of us, we don’t have much time left at the end of a busy day to do anything extra, but still want to do something to make our homes look festive and special during the Christmas period. Here are some ideas for quick and simple ways to add a festive look to your home without spending a lot of time or money.
1. Decorate everything with bows
- Tie a range of ribbons to chair backs, candlesticks, picks in plants, wreaths, garlands, basket handles, drapery tie-backs, stair railings, and doorknobs.
- Bows look really festive. The ribbons you choose should tie together with the rest of your decorating. Choose ribbons in colours and patterns that coordinate with your decorating scheme; personally, we love tartan for this time of year!
- You don’t have to stick with red and green. Nevertheless, if you can’t find anything that looks quite right, then choose contemporary metallic silver and gold or stay traditional with green and red.
- Choose a ribbon that you can untie and re-tie each year. This will save money in the long run, and you’ll end up with a good collection.
- When the holidays are over, untie the ribbons and press them lightly. The bows won’t get crushed and the ribbons will be ready when you want to take them out the next year.
- A handy tip is to use wire. By using wire to make your bows, you’ll be able to attach them to many objects.
2. Table decorations
- Make sure you have a matching table set. Laura Ashley is a good place to look for a chic table set.
- Be sure if you select a table set with a pattern that it can be reused year to year. When in doubt keep it simple and just add table decorations, such as candles and bows. These little touches if chosen well add a touch of Christmas.
- If you’re brave, you can opt for different place settings for each of your guests. Arranging different dishes around the table will give a boho chic feel.
- This doesn’t just suit Christmas however, it works all year round. Furthermore, when your table sets are not in use, they can be displayed around the room.
- Arrange lots of candles on the dining table and dine by candlelight, making the main meal on Christmas day feel special.
- If you have a fireplace, light it!
- Arrange candle throughout the house. My mother chooses cinnamon and spice scented candles for Christmas time. ·Nevertheless, be very careful with candles around the house.
4. Hang wreaths
- Putting a wreath on every door you have will add an instant Christmas feeling. If this is too much, be sure to put one on the front door to welcome guests.
- When making wreaths, use real pine, holly, or grapevine, decorated with bows, berries, fruit, pine cones, raffia, ornaments, birds, photos, or even sweets such as the traditional candy cane.
- Wreaths will last year after year if you buy artificial wreaths and accessories.